Rhondda Cynon Taf ‘Carers Emergency Card Scheme’

The carers support project in partnership with Carelink now has available to Rhondda Cynon Taf carers an emergency card support service that is available 24hrs a day 365 days a year.

Carers Emergency Card Scheme

If you have ever worried about what would happen to the person you after if you were suddenly taken ill or had an accident then this free service would be well worth considering. It works well in a few other areas of Wales and gives carers peace of mind if something happens to stop them getting home.

Do you worry about what would happen to the person you look after if you were suddenly taken ill or had an accident?

If the answer is YES then Rhondda Cynon Taf Carers Emergency care support service may help to ease your concern.

What is the Carers Emergency Card?

It is a credit card size card that you can carry with you at all times. It is used as an instant source of identification in case of an accident of sudden illness. The council’s Carelink Service will hold your registration number and detail where help can be co-ordinated to assist you both, while you are receiving attention. By making a brief phone call help can be summoned for the person you look after. Carelink is staffed 24 hours a day 365 days a year.

What is Carelink?

Carelink is a vital lifeline fo people who are elderly, frail, disabled, who need reassurance, or are convalescing at home. Carelink offers a lifeline to people, allowing them to maintain their independence living at home. It means peace of mind, knowing someone is at hand should something happen.

Why was the Emergency Card Support Service Developed?

It was requested by local carers who were concerned about what would happen if they were out alone and had an accident, suddenly became ill or were seriously delayed. They wanted a service that would give tem peace of mind and access to a 24-hour, seven days a week assistance. They also wanted a service that ensured maximum security fro the people they were looking after.

How does the service operate?

You register with the service by completing an enrolment form and sending it to the Carers Support Project. This form holds information about you, the person you look after and the action that needs to be taken in the event of an emergency. Carelink, who are partners in the service, hold this information. You are then issued with the emergency card.

Is it a safe system?

The system is confidential. No personal details are held on the card, so that all identities are protected. The only means of identification is the number on the card. In an emergency Carelink responds by carrying out the instructions on the enrolment form.

Does the system work?

Yes similar schemes are in operation elsewhere in Wales and carers like and use them. It is a simple and easy to use service and has proved successful in ensuring that help is quickly available when needed. What are the benefits to Carers?

  • Carers are offered 24 hours a day emergency cover if the have an accident or sudden illness.
  • Carers feel less anxious and freer to go out.
  • Carers have peace of mind if something happens to stop them getting home.

How do I join the service?

You can join the service by completing an enrolment form , which can be obtained from:

Rhondda Cynon Taf Carers Support Project Carersline 0808 100 1801 Minicom 0808 100 1675

Or by writing to:

Carers Support Project Heddfan,

Llan Avenue Rhydyfelin,


CF37 5PN

Or by downloading the forms

To download (click here)

What next?

Return your completed form to the Carers Support Project. On receipt of your form, the Carers Support Project will issue you with a cared and return to you a copy of your enrolment form. Your form will then be sent to Carelink. You are then registered with the service.

How do I use the card?

Always carry the card with you. It is important that this identification card is found quickly. It needs to be one of the first things that anyone who comes to your assistance sees or finds. If possible clip it to your coat, wallet or handbag.

What if I live outside Rhondda Cynon Taff?

Contact your local authority or Carers project to see if a similar scheme is operating in your area.

Service Directory

Mental Health Support Service Directory

Click Here

Sign Up for our Newsletter

Check out our Forum


Support us!

Shop Now

Latest Newsletters

Translate »